RMA Commissioner and other decision making roles
Drs Cooke, Phillips and Green have undertaken a range of RMA commissioner roles (and Chair in the case of Dr Cooke), providing expertise in freshwater and coastal environmental issues. Examples include:
- Independent Commissioner, AFFCO Fielding Meat Works Reconsenting, Horizons Regional Council, 2017. Environmental Science Expert on 3-person panel considering applications by AFFCO NZ (Ltd) for continued operation of its Horotiu Meat Works.
- Independent Commissioner, AFFCO Horotiu Meat Works Reconsenting, Waikato regional Council, 2016. Environmental Science Expert on 3-person panel considering applications by AFFCO NZ (Ltd) for continued operation of its Horotiu Meat Works.
- Independent Commissioner, Motuapa Marina, Lake Taupo Consent Application. Waikato Regional Council 2015 Environmental Science expert on 3-person panel considering an application from Department of Internal Affairs to construct and operate a new marina at Motuapa, near Turangi.
- Independent Commissioner, Silver Fern Farms reconsenting, Waikato Regional Council, 2016. Environmental science expert on a 2 person panel considering an application by Silver Fern Farms to renew its discharge consents associated with operation of its Te Aroha meat processing plant.
- Independent Commissioner, Fonterra-Tirau reconsenting, Waikato Regional Council, 2016. Environmental science expert on a 2 person panel considering an application by Fonterra to renew its discharge consents associated with operation of its Tirau dairy facility.
- Independent Commissioner, Mangatangi Coal Mine Consents. Waikato Regional Council and Waikato District Council 2013, Water management/Ecology expert on 3-person panel considering applications by Glencoal Ltd to develop and operate an open cast coal mine near Mangatangi.
- Independent Commissioner – Upper Waitaki Resource Consents Hearing, Environment Canterbury 2009-2012. Environmental Science expert member of a panel considering the application for 61 consent applications to take and use (for consent applications in the Upper Waitaki Catchment and associated land use consents).
- Independent Commissioner Otorohanga Wastewater Discharge consents. Waikato Regional Council 2012. Environmental science expert panel member for this application (renewal) to discharge treated wastewater to the Mangarongo Stream (tributary of the Waipa River).
- Independent commissioner, mangrove removal, Northland Regional Council. On a panel of three convened by Northland Regional Council to hear an application by the Mangawhai Harbour Restoration Society under the Resource Management Act for resource consent to remove mangroves in Mangawhai Harbour, Northland.
Dr Phillips is also an appointed member of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Committee which makes decisions on applications under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Act 1996. This is a standing decision making committee with an appointment term of 3 years. Decision Making Committees (DMC) are formed from within a pool of 8 decision maker and involvement may include as DMC member or Chair.